Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Memories of Mom

Mom loved a good joke!

I was thinking of Mom last night before I fell to sleep and I had another one of those dreams where things seemed so real. In my dream, I had a near-death experience that I’m sure will change me forever. I went horseback riding one day and everything was going fine until the horse started running and bucking out of control. I tried with all my might to hang on, but was thrown off. Just when I thought things could not possibly get any worse, I realized my foot had become caught in the stirrup. When this happened, I fell head first to the ground. My head continued to bounce over the bumps harder and harder, as the horse would not stop or even slow down. Just as I was giving up hope and felt I would surely die ... a thoughtful K-Mart manager came out and pulled the plug.

Seriously, I have had several thoughts and reflections about my mother since she passed away on the 8th of May 2010. I spoke about some of my memories of her at the funeral. Of course there are several others, but I have had a hard time deciding which ones I want to share with the world.

Mom was a very special person. She was a sweet daughter of God. I have a hard time talking about Mom because it brings back some tender memories and feelings. If I don't keep this a bit on the light side, I won't be able to see through the tears.

Mom was the one that taught me the gospel. She taught me how to pray. She taught me self worth, right and wrong and was always building me and my weak ego. She is the one that worked and saved up her money to take us on the only extended vacation that I can remember. We went by car, up through northern Idaho, Salmon, Coeur d'Alene, the Grand Coulee Dam, Flat Head Lake, Glacier and Waterton Parks, the Canadian border, and the Cardston, Alberta Temple. On the way home we visited with Dad’s sister Ruby and her family. Great memories!

Mom always expected me to go on a mission. She and I painted several homes and four-plexus, together to get enough money for my mission. We worked very hard together and had some great talks and experiences. I knew she loved me and I loved her.

Mom had a great sense of humor. She always loved a good clean joke and I loved to hear her little chuckle and her fabulous smile when she laughed. I think she would have enjoyed this one about the life after death.

Two men died and went to heaven. God greeted them, and said "I'm sorry, gentlemen, but your mansions aren't ready yet. Until they are, I can send you back to Earth as whatever you want to be."
"Great!" said the first guy, "I want to be an eagle soaring above beautiful scenery!"
"No problem," replied God, and POOF! The guy was gone.
"And what do you want to be," God asked the other guy.
"I'd like to be one cool stud!" was the reply.
"Easy," replied God, and the other guy was gone.
After a few months, their mansions were finished, and God sent an angel to fetch them back. "You'll find them easily," he says, "One of them is soaring above the Grand Canyon, and the other one is on a snow tire somewhere in Rexburg!"

I love you Mom and we will all miss you, but we are so blessed to know you on this earth and we know you are still alive, having new experiences every day and happy to be with your family that has gone before you.

Save a place for us!

1 comment:

em said...

I loved reading that. Your dream was way scary, but now I know where I get the weird dream gene.